Saturday, October 29, 2011

"A Letter To My Brother" Ode' to Music

Part of the Bible series "Reaching Your Financial Destiny" encourages you to reach out to family and friends with simple acts of kindness. The series asks that we use our "gifts" of cooking, singing, writing or whatever those gifts or talents may be, to help someone else. The thought being that in giving you receive.

The first thing I did was send an email to my Brother who lives out of state. After recent calls and multiple texts not returned, I decided to send the email.

The email in a nutshell went something like "I love you. It will be OK, hold on to your family, I am here for you". He replied something like "thank you for the kind words, I will be OK, working it out the best I can right now, I love you".

I cried reading his reply.

My Brother and I are our parent's only children and for the first 15 years of my life he was the closest person to me. We shared everything including our bedroom until around age 13 when he moved into the basement with the hopping spiders.

Bro and I also shared our parents, primarily our Mother's love for music, he more so than I and became a musician. Garage Band, Music Conservatory, Paying Gigs, Studio Owner Musician.

Our Mother, who has an appreciation of all thing music, introduced us to a vast array of music genres.  Bro however loved everything rock, mostly metal and punk as a teen and young adult. I had to be "Gene" when he and the boys did air guitar "Kiss" concerts, because my tongue fit the bill and they were short of boys in the neighborhood that wanted the Gene role. All the boys wanted to be Paul or Ace. I just wanted to "hang" with the boys and was glad I had "gene"tically fit the bill.

Great song by KISS click link below. Everyone especially my Brother should pay close attention to the lyrics. Nothing happens before you can believe in "I".

I - by KISS Click Here

My Mother sings like Barbara Streisand or she used to, now it's more like Leontyne Price and as I reflect, also favored Barbara's look back in the 70's but with a tan. Growing up, music was a major part of our everyday life and often my saving grace. When the music played there was singing which was so much better than the crying or the cursing my Mother could also perform with the same volume and vigor as her stage rendition of "Memory".

Like to hear it? Here it go..
Memory - Barbara Streisand

"And what can I do"? you may ask. Well, I can sing - a little, sang in a couple of choirs, my first solo was "Memory" by Babs. I also love to dance. My girls and I went out dancing a lot back in the day and I was picked out the crowd to be a video dancer several times but decided not to make the casting couch auditions required.

Music Saved My Life - Lil Louis Click Here It saved my life and my soul! I worship Lil' Louis.

My family listened to every kind of music, something I truly appreciate in my adult life. I have found that I know the words to almost every elevator tune, TV commercial sample and oldie but goody.  Maybe I can go on that lyric show and make some dough!

Music was the tie that bound our family together in joy. Some of the best memories of my life are singing and dancing at home with my family. My new joy with music is singing and dancing with the new love of my life. A fav tune of his is "Party in My Tummy" and his new groove is the alphabet song with India Arie and Elmo. It is good to see the appreciation of good music still runs in the family.

India and Elmo sing ABC's click here Now that is good music!

A part of creating more moments of joy in my life will be to spend more time listening, singing and dancing to music. Going to load up my play list with some new tunes.

I miss my Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment